Advertisement

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Apples and Pears



Monday

I arrived in London around 9:30 a.m. Ryan and Michael met the students and I at the airport after we stepped off the plane. Then, they proceeded to drag our exhausted bodies around the city for the remainder of the day.

Most of the day was a blur. Jet lag is a horrendous sickness. I do remember having breakfast and tea with the head of the Ithaca London Center, Bill. He has worked here for quite a few years and seems extremely knowledgeable about the area.

Another interesting fellow I met during my first day here was Fred who works at the London Center with Bill. He is an older gentleman who talks in circles of English jargon. I can't understand most of what he is saying, but he is hillarious. Soon he had everyone using all sorts of funny phrases. For example, calling the stairs "apples and pears" is appropriate here--because it rhymes?

Next, we unloaded the luggage. We took a lift up to our flat (We took an elevator up to our dorm).
Something I quickly learned is that everything in London is pretty cozy. My roommate Rachel and I lucked out and have a room with bunked beds which gives a little more room than most.

Flat problems so far:
*Lack of Internet access
*Temperamental toilet flusher (which looks like a handle stuck on the wall)
*Strange bathroom fan that sounds like a dying cat
*Electricity that turns off whenever it feels necessary





We ended the day with a night out on the town.



Tuesday

This morning Rachel and I woke up at 7 a.m. After a quick coffee run, we met up with the rest of the group and boarded the two-stack bus heading back to the Ithaca London Center. Class was at 9:30 a.m. We arrived early, and were very proud we found our way so easily. After a lecture
from Ryan and Michael, we headed to the Tower of London and the Tower Bridge (commonly known as the London Bridge).


















The day was full of London history. I’ll update more later—for now, Ryan has got me working on an assignment.

Cheers. (compliments of Seth)

1 comment:

  1. Love the shot of the four of you at night. I'm sorry your bathroom fan sounds like a dying cat. That can't be pleasant in the morning!

    ReplyDelete